Tuesday, January 22, 2008

fijacion oral

Oh man! I just cooked some dank food!

I have been planning both of these meals for a couple days now. I am trying to stay on a tight budget, eat different things, and eat deliciously, so these meals fit perfectly within those constraints, although with a moderately high starter cost.

First, I had okonomiyaki -- Japanese pancake. You get these at restaurants, there is meat, sometimes fish, sometimes veggies, mixed in a pancake like batter with shredded cabbage throughout, topped with a rich brown sauce things and maybe seaweed.

I mixed together an egg, okonomiyaki flour, and water in a bowl. Once it was nice and thick, I stirred in a ton of diced cabbage. Next I fried some meat and mushrooms. Once they were almost cooked, I removed some, and poured over the rest my ton-o-pancake mix. Then I put on the top of the pancake the rest of the meat and mushrooms. I let the thing fry for about 5 minutes, and then flipped it over. I went heavy on the okonomiyaki sauce as I poured it over the top. I added shredded seaweed on top. After a couple minutes the thing was done and I plated it up.

It was pretty good. Def filling. I might have had too much flour and perhaps too much sauce. But, it was def a change of pace. My Japanese food abilities now include stir-fry, kimchee fried rice (technically Korean?), and okonomiyaki. Next up: shabu-shabu and tempura!

I have also had a hecka big sweet tooth recently. Now, I can't go out and buy a whole box of digestive biscuits every time I feel like having desert. So I decided to make crepes. First I did a test crepe. Because I've never done them before. I whisked (all with a fork) together an egg, quarter cup water, quarter cup milk. I had bought what said "something something BUTTER" on it, and it turned out to be spread. So I melted about a tablespoon of spread and added it to the bowl. Finally I added a tiny bit of salt. I mixed all these together. Next I added in a half cup of flour, a little at a time, and mixed it all till it was as smooth as I could get it. This was the test crepe. I had total 3/4ths cup batter.

I greased up a frying pan, heated it up, and dumped in 1/4 cup. I sworled the batter around in a circle. Now, the batter was not flat, little airy lumps popped up, like when making various Indian breads. I couldn't get any of the crepes flat. Is this a common problem with crepes?
In any case, I flipped it over when it looked set, and cooked it for about less than a minute more. Then I put it on a plate.

Next I halved a banana lengthwise and fried it up. I put one half on my first crepe. I wanted to add whipped cream, preferably fresh, else in a can, but they didnt have canned, and i dont have anywhere to whip. So i bought some plain yogurt. Unfortunately I left the yogurt out so it was a little melted. Also, it needed sugar. I stirred some sugar into some melty yogurt in a bowl and it melted even more, instantly. My guess is the sugar lowered the melting point of the yogurt. In any case, I added this sweet yogurt to my banana on the crepe, and of course, I had also bought some hersheys chocolate, and dumped some of that on there too.

It was delicious! But the crepe was cold. I thought it was more important the banana be hot than the crepe. I WAS WRONG! So the next two crepes I ate right after making each. Now you may be wondering -- "Eo-dog, you said you used 1/4 cup batter and yet you still had half a cup left. This means that there are two crepes left. You also said you cut a banana in half and used half for the first crepe. There is one half of a banana left. Assuming you put the whole banana-half in one of the last two crepes, what the heck did you put in the other??!!"

This is a good question, it raises an important issue that I thought of myself. And you are right, I did use the whole second half of the banana for actually my second crepe. I didn't feel like frying any more bananas for the third, but of course I couldn't have an empty crepe. So my second crepe was like a hot version of the first. And my third crepe I filled with rhubarb compote. It was good. I think some chunks of fresh rhubarb, for texture, would have been exquisite. Also, the plate was real messy and creamy chocolaty, so I got a little bit of that going on with the rhubarb.

Well, thanks for joining us today. Man, I feel like a rat... named Remy!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Hey, that sounds good!! A little advice from France - there shouldn't be air bubbles in your crêpe mix if you can help it! Here's an easy recipe I use:

For 12 crêpes [also, you can cook them ahead of time, pile them one on top of another, put them in the fridge and heat them up when you want to eat them in a pan w/ a little butter, & filling]

I think you guys are metric too?
- 250 g flour
- 1/2 liter milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 TBS oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 or 2 TBS water

-Put flour in a bowl, make a well and break the eggs into the well.

-Add the oil, salt, & some of the milk - stir that up real good to make the crêpe mix light & fluffy. Try not to leave any lumps. So use a fork or a whisk (I presume you don't have one of those)

-Add rest of milk gradually, keep stirring

-If you want to flavor the mix, you could add a little lemon juice or vanilla here

-Then add the water

-You're supposed to let the mix sit for an hour - it makes it lighter. I never make it the full hour! :)

-For cheap sweetness, try just lemon juice or OJ & sugar on it too - REAL good.
xx Barmy